Senior Optics Technician
Vandenberg Space Force Base, CA 93437 US
Ignite your professional journey by becoming an integral part of a world-class platform that serves as a conduit to the cosmos. Join our team of dedicated and innovative professionals who contribute to the launch and tracking of diverse space launch rockets, including those for the Department of Defense, civil, commercial, and international sectors. Moreover, our mission extends to bolstering U.S. defense and space awareness through an array of ballistic missile testing, guided weapon, and aeronautical experiments aimed at safeguarding our nation. Based at the Vandenberg Space Force Base in California, this role offers a unique and dynamic work environment that is both challenging and rewarding. Please note, this position does not support remote work.
- Carry out the inspection, troubleshooting, adjustment, alignment, repair, and refurbishment of Optics Prime Mission Equipment (PME) and related support equipment, utilizing optical test and measurement workstations in a lab setting.
- Conduct Depot-related repairs and refurbishments on Optics using a variety of resources including mechanical drawings, electrical/electronic schematics, wiring diagrams, engineering sketches, Technical Orders, and vendor/shop manuals.
- Lend your skills to Optical equipment installations, modifications, and removal projects.
- Perform various maintenance tasks including Programmed Depot Maintenance (PDMs), Unscheduled Depot Level Maintenance (UDLMs), and Emergency Depot Level Maintenance (EDLMs) on Optics Range PME.
- Complete designated training promptly to establish a proficiency level crucial for mission support.
- Uphold policies and procedures related to job site safety, security, and timekeeping.
- Undertake other duties/cross utilization as required and perform duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Experience
- Possess an Associate Degree in Electronic Technology or a related field; or equivalent military experience; or a combination of relevant education and work experience.
- Have a minimum of five years of experience with electronic equipment Optics and Optical theory or applicable range experience.
- Exhibit a strong understanding of Environmental and OSHA Standards, ISO9000 Quality inspection process.
- Experience with optical analysis and design software like Durango Interferometric analysis using LUPI, EOI software for VIP-100, ZYGO software – MetroPro, Optikos software – Optest, Lab View, test equipment, and Imatest.
- Ability to carry out technical repair duties of intermediate complexity and proficiency in using Electro-optical test equipment and tools.
- Understanding of Optical theory, Interferometry, Wave Theory, and Aberrations. Ability to interpret mechanical drawings, electrical/electronic schematics, wiring diagrams and cable assembly drawings, and engineering sketches, Shop Work Orders (SWO's), Specifications Sheets, and Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) manuals.
- Knowledge of IPC A-600 standards is preferred.
- Previous training in Cinetel Telescope Repair and Schneider Lens Repair is preferred.
- Willingness to travel to support work at off base locations.
- Flexibility to occasionally work non-duty hours or on weekends to fulfill specific requirements.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret Security Clearance, which includes U.S. citizenship or U.S. naturalization.
- A valid U.S. Driver’s License is required.
What You Can Expect From Us
Our team enjoys a suite of comprehensive benefits from day one, including medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurances, generous Paid Time Off and holiday pay, and a retirement savings plan with a company match and vesting from day one. Additional perks include flexible scheduling, access to on-base fitness centers, and recreational facilities. We are committed to providing a work/life balance while fostering a community of diverse and strategic backgrounds in a productive, evolving environment.
The pay rate for this role is guided by a Collective Bargaining